Sunday, May 13, 2012

SUNday FUNday



SUNday FUNday

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms out there! I hope you’re enjoying today, and spending time with your family.
Sorry I missed yesterday, but my parents were in town, and yesterday was their last full day here. We went to Arlington Cemetery and took a short driving tour through DC. Then, we headed out to dinner to celebrate mine, my dad’s, and my hubby’s birthdays. I was sad to see them go this morning, but we’ll be home sometime over the summer.
Moving on to topics more relevant to Life in First… I am looking forward to our next how-to writing activity: How-To Make a S'more. We’ll be doing the planning, and pre-writing tomorrow and then final draft writing and actually making s'mores in class on Tuesday.
I was looking for a book, or two, to read over summer break to help improve ‘writing time’ in my classroom. I came across a book called No More “I’m Done!” Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades by Jennifer Jacobson. I was able to ‘look inside the book’ on Amazon and from the little I was able to read, I was hooked! I’ll definitely be purchasing this book for some classroom improvement for next school year. I enjoy writing, but often struggle when teaching it to my kids. Try as I might to inspire my kids when they are writing, I always have a handful of kids saying, “I’m done,” before I’ve finished passing out the paper! I want to move away from generic writing prompts and move towards creating independent writers. I want my students to move through the writing process independently; I simply want to be a facilitator, not an enabler.
How do you teach writing in your classroom? 

No comments:

Post a Comment