Monday, October 22, 2012

Pumpkin Day & Pumpkin Seed Math



Pumpkin Day & Pumpkin Seed Math 


        I was hoping to post this Thursday, but I had cleaning and packing to do before our weekend trip to Richmond.



Here we are at King’s Dominion J


        So here are the highlights of our week in first grade:
  • We had two Redskins players come to school on Tuesday as part of an assembly. Check it out: Redskins at Hollywood


  • We made scarecrows on Wednesday. I found this GREAT FREEBIE on TpT: Scarecrow Writing Craftivity It was super easy for the kids to complete (I walked them step by step through the cut and paste portion). I also liked that the writing went along with our fall theme from the week before, which made the writing portion easy as pie!





I think this one is a vampire scarecrow ;)






    Thursday was Pumpkin Day in our class! 

    We began the morning by reading a portion of From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons, we then connected this to the life cycle of a pumpkin. I found a cute activity (I can't remember where at the moment) that we did (and I also forgot to take pictures of these). Then we did some ‘Pumpkin Investigations’ (I was inspired to make this chart after seeing this one on Pinterest),


Here it is complete (well almost), we ran out of time to vote on how we should carve the pumpkin!



     we made pumpkin predictions, and then we finally cut open our pumpkin! The kids each got a handful of seeds and guts to separate and then count: 


      I made a little pumpkin seed math activity Wednesday night (on the fly). The students had to count and record the number of pumpkin seeds they had, and then as a team they had to count how many seeds they had altogether (I don’t know how accurate the total is, but at least they tried and worked together!) 


Counting the seeds ‘together’





     In the afternoon we had an AWESOME parent come in and complete a pumpkin art activity. Check them out:





     Here is a link to the directions. The kids had fun making their own pumpkins, and the project was easy for them to complete. 

While they were in music I carved our pumpkin:


I think he turned out pretty cute! 

Hope you have a GREAT week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment